D3100 - best settings with 35/1.8 and 18-55VR in dark, unevenly lit rooms...

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akula57
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
D3100 - best settings with 35/1.8 and 18-55VR in dark, unevenly lit rooms...
Nov 9, 2012

I'm a novice and trying different settings with the camera as well as comparing the 35/1.8 to the 18-55VR at 35.

Indoor pics primarily due to time of year and terrible weather of past two weeks.

On 1.8 the 35mm prime asks for the flash when in Auto.    Use A and the flash stayed down unless you raise it.    Tried at 2.8, too, to increase sharpness.    Hasn't blown me away yet in relatively dark rooms.    Perhaps not super sharp due to lack of VR?    Where exactly does the 1.8 shine?   (I'm assuming Op error.)

Almost all pics are OK but nothing special.    Any suggestions appreciated.    G12 pics not very different.

Strangely a Nikon P300 does pretty well at 1.8 (without flash) while this (35/1.8) seems to want/request, possibly need, flash.    I can use ISO 800 or Auto ISO.   Not great luck yet.

(Girlfriend's house and it seems too dark to me with areas of darkness next to areas reached by light.   Maybe that's the issue.    I doubt returning and getting a D5100 would make much difference.)

I'm taking pics of times.

Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow