DP2 Merrill Prospective Buyer - Questions

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,651Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill Prospective Buyer - Questions
In reply to igluck, Nov 9, 2012

i<...>

1) What's the current thought regarding banding / noise? I'm particularly concerned with respect to its appearance photos with significant sections of blue sky. Some of the pictures I've seen look fine, others almost seem to be suffering from posterization, and others still seem to have the vertical banding. Is this only an issue at higher ISOs or poorly exposed photos? Does the most recent version of the RAW software address these issues?

Use ISO 100 for the cleanest skies, also you will want to play a little with the luminance noise settings in SPP.  a setting just one above the lowest is best for clean skies and detail.

2) Print size. What's the view on best print sizes from this camera? I know there's a lot of subjectivity with respect to this topic, but how do 20x24s look? 11x14? I'm mostly interested in preserving the sharpness on prints that is so evident on screen.

I have printed SD-1 shots from the 70mm lens, at 30x48" that look fantastic and quite sharp.   The DP-2M should be equally capable for good quality images.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow