Should I sell my 100 f/2.8 macro and/or 70-200 f/4 for 135L?

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
oss
oss
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: I would say don't sell them
In reply to goshigoo, Nov 9, 2012

goshigoo wrote:

oss wrote:

goshigoo wrote:

jedinstvo wrote:

Three different lenses with different uses. The 135 is a pretty specific lens. The only use I ever found for a 135 was shooting tennis. But it's a good portrait lens for certain types of portraits. The one you want to keep for sure is the zoom. That is a "must have" lens for sure. In terms of optical quality all three lenses are terrific.

Thanks for your info

I love my 70-200 f/4; I just wonder what am I going to get by trading my 70-200 f/4L with 135L

Since my 70-200 f/4 can still produce stunning bokeh @ 200mm and f/4

Not enough to make it worth it, gain that is.

Do not get me wrong the 135 f2.0 L is the best piece of glass I have and I am not sure if you are referring to the IS version of the 70-200 f4.0 L but that is the next best piece of glass I have.

For a zoom, the 70-200 f4.0 L IS is absolutely stunning and it is more versatile than the 135, however the 135 is unmatched at f2.0 but even on full frame it's an awkward focal length.

Love both, don't sell anything save some more and buy the 135 as an addition, it is one of the cheaper L lenses.

I am talking about 70-200 f/4L non IS version; i would only use it outdoor on sunny day - my shutter speed are usually fast enough to avoid shaking
I really want to see how different the bokeh is between 135 @ f2 vs 100 @ f2.8

Ah sorry can't really help you there as I only have the 135 and the 85 f1.8 never had the 100.

I am guessing that it's the non L version of the 100 f2.8 and you are looking at making enough cash between that and the 70-200L f4 L based on the usual 66% resale that you can get on second hand lenses?

Personally I love my 135 but I was lucky and got mine very cheap before the financial crisis, however it is a difficult focal length not ideal for the majority of portraits and not quite long enough for proper tele stuff like air shows and so on.  Very difficult choice, while I love it I don't use it as much as I would like but it pairs well with the Canon 1.4x teleconvertor for certain shots.

I think I would still not want to sell a 70-200 L, that lens even without IS is really superb.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow