Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: Another happy 35-100 owner
In reply to Jeremy_T, Nov 9, 2012

Jeremy_T wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

On the other hand, I'm intrigued with how often people declare lenses like the 35-100 f2.8 or the 75 f1.8 to be overpriced. Those who do so must either: A-have no real understanding of what affects the price of a lens, especially when it comes to aperture size and overall construction. B-Don't compare prices to comparable lenses from other manufacturers.

Please do tell me - how much would you spend for a 70-200mm f/5.6 lens for a full frame camera? If the answer is fifteen hundred US dollars, then I've got some bridges you might be interested in buying.

Micro Four Thirds lenses demand a premium because it is a young system and there is little real competition. Similar lenses for mature systems would never cost so much.

I think the 35-100 is ridiculously expensive. Stupidly so. But I still think about buying it - not because it's a good or even reasonable value, but because it is a good lens and there is nothing else like it for Micro Four Thirds. That fact means Panasonic can charge whatever they want right now.

Premium? Look at the price of the new 24-70mm F4..

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow