Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spielnicht
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
7D Prime Lens
Nov 9, 2012

Happy to say I'm new here and just recently upgraded from a 550D to 7D which I LOVE.

I am looking for a prime lens and finding myself confused as to what is my best option. To give you some context, my primary use for it are portraits and indoor flash-less shots of my kids and such. Oh, I forgot to mention video as well. Basically this will be my walkabout lens (I prefer to use my feet to "zoom").

I just got the Canon 50mm F/1.4 which I really like, no problem there. My only concern is that it's too hard to use indoor as I can't step back enough in a room to capture more than a head and I realize that's because the lens is technically working at 80mm due to the crop factor. I still have a window to return it, so I need to make sure I really want it or I should return it for something else.

So my #1 and only requirement is low f stop.

My options are the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM which puts it at 56mm. I've used a friend's 5D MIII with a 50mm and it was PERFECT. However, we're talking $1200.

My second option is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which is for crop sensor cameras only at $450.

My third option is to obviously keep the 50m f/1.4 but I'd be kidding myself as it's really a "80mm" lens on the 7D.

Help.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow