All purpose lens - Canon 28-135mm or Tamron 28-75mm

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,199Gear list
Like?
Re: All purpose lens - Canon 28-135mm or Tamron 28-75mm
In reply to ROBERT CARETR, Nov 9, 2012

ROBERT CARETR wrote:

My initial thought was to keep the 18-55mm in my camera bag for wide angle options but keep the Tamron 28-75 or the canon 28-135 on a regular basis.

Back in the Rebel days, I tried that:  I kept my 18-55 kit for wide angle and bought a 28-135.  I hated it.  I shoot enough wide angle that I was constantly swapping between the two lens; eventually I ended up shooting the 18-55 kit more than the 28-135 to avoid excessive swapping

Bought the 17-85 IS when it came out --- lots of whining on how that lens was way over priced.  I found that it was the perfect lens for what I wanted to have:  a standard focal length walk around lens that stays on the camera most of the time.

The 28-135 IS is a very old design; one of the very first IS lens that Canon ever made.  Its IS performance is no where near as good as modern lens.

If you don't need a regular wide angle focal length on the lens that spends the most time on your camera, then go for the 24-105 or that Tamron.

Personally, if I was doing it all over again, I'd buy a 15-85 IS and then focus on primes and zooms to meet my other needs as I get around to developing those needs.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow