Dimitri Khoz
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
Re: Canon G15 vs G12 vs P7700 studio comparison tool
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 9, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

Dimitri Khoz wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

Should we compare RAWs? IMHO we should compare both JPG _and_ RAW. RAW to get apples to apples for geeks, and JPG to JPG to get "out of camera" vs. "out of camera" 99% of buyers will usually stay with.

Many of Canon G-series and Nikon P-series buyers use RAW on a regular basis,

JPEG-only users usually do not bother buying advanced compact.

I will assert you don't have that data and are just making statement that suits your agenda. I have observed enough people to have a strong feeling people do buy advanced cameras capable of RAW shooting, many much more expensive than G15 or P7700 here, that they never take out of JPG only mode.

Do not mix your "strong feelings" about people with "99%" hard stats.

It just proves that

you don't have that data and you are just making statement that suits your agenda.

If you shoot JPEG 99% of the time does not mean that others do not use RAW to get best possible results from the cameras.

Given all this, however, I think you might be a bit extreme.

I am sorry but I don't find my expectation from lens on G15 "extreme" even a little bit. I find it reasonable.

Just set G15 shaprness to +2, NR to Low, Contrast to +2 and repeat the tests.

Please explain to us what will increasing of sharpness and contrast do for area of picture that is lacking pixel info, if you can? Cause all it will do is make that area look even worse, and detoriate rest.

Just do the test and you will see the results.

You did JPEGs not RAW. With Digic5 it makes a big difference. I can tell you after owning G1X.

I _did_ take G15 vs. P7700 side by sides in artificial light and found P7700's white balance under artificial lighting much better than G15's. Once again it seems to me you are not speaking from any hands on experience and are instead taking wild shots in the dark blinded by your agenda. Do you have any actual hands on experience with both or not?

I do not have P7700 in my hands yet,

but from digitalcamerainfo.com review where Nikon got 10.0 out of 10.0:

"White balance performance is a decidedly mixed bag for the P7700. Automatic white balance is simply bad, even with two AWB modes to choose from...

Unfortunately, most casual photographers don’t walk around with an 18% gray card on their person at all times, so we strongly suggest shooting RAW if you need to rely on AWB under artificial light. This will give you the ability to change white balance after the fact, which may be crucial in some shots. Daylight AWB performance should be a-ok."

You said you do not shoot RAW, so try to correct AWB error properly with your Nikon.

_Who_ said I do not shoot RAW? Where exactly you are pulling that one from? Direct link, please.

You yourself said that 99% of P7700 and G15 users shoot JPEG only,

are you an exception, one from your "1%" category?

Regarding VR, there are no conclusive tests so far

to make a claim that IS in Canon G15 is worse than VR in Nikon P7700

Only consluive test I ever need is me taking many side by side shots over many scenes and then counting how many I could keep from one vs. other. For me Nikon won that one by quite a lead. It was giving me many stable shots even at 200mm F4 that were blurred on G15's 140mm 2.8.

Could you please specify shutter speeds that allow you to take

sharp shots with Nikon P7700 more than 75% of time

at 200mm, 140mm, 50mm, and 28mm.

Thank you in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow