What's with the sudden weather-sealing craze ?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,618Gear list
Like?
Re: What's with the sudden weather-sealing craze ?
In reply to Optical1, Nov 9, 2012

Optical1 wrote:

amvrvd wrote:

I know it's awesome to be able to shoot in the midst of Sandy without fear of ruining your camera but, do we really need every lens to be weather-sealed !?

I've recently noticed that people clamor, ever so frequently, for weather sealing, in forums, blogs and rumor sites. I fear this craze will lead to Olympus and Panasonic actually listening and WSing every future lens, and thus rising up the prices, which in turn will corner M4/3 into a unfavorable position against larger sensored mirrorless. I mean, sure, WS is nice and gives you and edge over other systems but do we really want/need m4/3 to be even more expensive than the competition ?You may think I may be blowing this out of proportion but if the demand is there, the manufacturers will eventually deliver.

Besides the cost factor, does every consumer need the extra peace of mind that a WS lens gives you ?

This is my guess but I think M4/3 is not even close to its peak market penetration and now we have more competition than ever, and the race is getting fiercer with other systems catching up in features and lens roadmaps. In this scenario WS makes sense as a differentiating feature but M4/3 will always be under fire because of the sensor performance/DOF (even though the EM5 and recent pany models have proven otherwise) and higher prices is only means giving competition more arguments against MFT for their marketing department.

IMO they should keep today's strategy and only reserve this feature to high-end bodies and lenses, products which are already expected to be expensive where WS wouldn't add much to the existing cost. People want every new lens to be WS as if it was mandatory, they even want re-releases of older lenses (i.e.20mm) to add the feature.

The cost to seal a lens is minimal, but the price increase for weathersealing is not related to the cost in any way. Personally, I think of WS as insurance more than anything. I don't enjoy shooting in the rain, so I don't do it, but I I certainly feel more comfortable taking my camera places that it might get wet (i.e. fishing, water parks, hiking, camping, traveling, etc.).

The cost of seal a lens is a minimal? How do you know?

-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.
http://g1.img-dpreview.com/20AE148C45244CBE9FB1585EDA32B1C1.jpg

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow