What's with the sudden weather-sealing craze ?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
G1Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
Re: What's with the sudden weather-sealing craze ?
In reply to amvrvd, Nov 9, 2012

For those of you in this thread that see WS as "insurance", I have 2 observations:

1. My GH2's and non WS lenses have been wet on more than one occasion. Not held under the water for 5 minutes wet, but wet on the exterior from rain and also from me falling on a stream crossing. They still work just fine.

2. If insurance is what you are after, buy insurance. It is less $ than WS. I pay $25 per year for no fault, all risk, blanket coverage of $2,500 on non scheduled camera equipment as a rider on my homeowner's insurance. If I drop a camera in the 100' of water (or whatever), I get the replacement cost up to $2,500.

The down side is I have to pay the premium every year, so at some point WS would be less $. But I would get nothing if I dropped my WS camera and lens in the ocean, so I keep paying the premium each year.

FWIW, I mostly shoot outdoors in more extreme conditions than the average photographer so the loss of a whole camera and lens in water or dropped off a cliff is not an unreasonable expectation.

G1Shooter's gear list:G1Shooter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow