What's with the sudden weather-sealing craze ?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,369Gear list
Like?
Weather-sealing is an industry trend.
In reply to amvrvd, Nov 9, 2012

And so all camera systems must provide it, at least in the higher-end models. I certainly don't see a problem with that. I don't know what costs are added to the finished product - another poster mentioned 10% but without reference - but it will be expected by those buying what they perceive as quality products. The particular user's actual need for weather-sealing has little to do with it; it's the perception of the product, from a marketing standpoint.

As for trying to make m4/3 cheaper...photography is not a cheap hobby and I doubt that price makes a big difference for those buying m4/3 compared to portability, etc. It certainly doesn't to me - I paid almost as much for my OM-D as for my Sony A77 (also weather-sealed).

Anyone thinking that lower costs will always increase the market share of a product has somehow missed the example set by Apple, among others.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow