Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Didn't you say you know how to test focus?
In reply to Fayard, Nov 9, 2012

Fayard wrote:

I have nothing against the method given by Nikon Europe which is perfectly fine. I am not the one you keeps trashing others people method.

I just find funny that anymore using this method would be trashed by Leonard because Leonard would claim that the target is wrong.

Focused on the book (The "FL") with the left AF sensor. It is a nice backfocus, the same as the one above.

I am on record as saying Nikon do not clarify sufficiently well that the part of the book focussed on needs to contain good readable detail.

The FL letters are good for a cross detector because part of the F (in the horizontal direction) is wider than the L - so not symmetrical and a reasonable AF target.

The vertical part of the L and F contain no readable detail for a vertical detector.

If you check out the outer AF pints apart from the 3 extreme left and the 3 extreme right they each detects a broad vertical band centre, right and left of the centre of the AF mark.

The 3 far outer right detect in a narrower band centre and to the left, which might well AF OK on the horizontal part of the F.

The 3 far outer left read centre and to the right and might miss the horizontal part of the AF - not detecting the target good when the far right did.

If you rotate the target (turning the book 180 degrees on a copy stand) you should find far left AF good and far right AF poor. Maybe you missed my earlier posts on this detail.

I did with my D3s and D800 when I checked this way. I cannot recheck the D3s as it has just been sold.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow