Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Swamp Duck
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
Looking for thoughts
Nov 9, 2012

Let me start by saying this could be my ignorance since I haven't shot seriously for about three years or more, but I have started wondering at what point does the m4/3 format stop being appealing in terms of size and cost vs a DSLR?  I was under the assumption that the camera/format was intended for the above P&S, but below all out DSLR users.

I have shot with DSLR's (Canon) for many years, and recently switched over to the m4/3 Olympus in the past two years.  I got into the format because the picture quality was still very good, but most importantly it was a small setup that could be carried almost everywhere I went.  I could easily stuff the body and lenses into a small daypack and be out and about with the family without any fuss.  Also, if I dropped/lost/stolen the equipment I was out less than $400, as opposed to being out closer to twice that amount with DSLR equipment.

Reading the review of the Panasonic GH3 stirred up these questions.  The body plus lens is as big a small DSLR!  The article compares the size to one of the Sony's, and the pictures of it look to make it almost the same size as a Canon Ti series camera.  The price also makes you sit back and consider the merits even more.  For that price you can get a full blown DSLR with good lens.  So why would you settle for a smaller sensor size?

When responding, if you anyone does, this is simply my thoughts and constructive enlightning is welcome

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow