Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,303Gear list
Like?
Re: Hate to admit it, but I have the AF issue. Going to make a case with Nikon. Any advice?
In reply to Fayard, Nov 9, 2012

Fayard wrote:

should have some details on it so you can focus easily. Here is a picture of the setup.

The setup

- Set your camera at a distance d from the book. I would suggest d = 1.5m for a 35mm, d = 3m for a 85mm lens. (snipped)

Then, post a 100% crop of the "Check your your camera has focused" part of the image for the left, center and right AF sensors.

Although Nikon do not explain it in their AF guidance - your bar code is unsuitable for reliable AF testing of outer AF points.

Outer AF points are vertical, detect detail along a vertical line, and your bar code has only horizontal and no vertical detail.

Whether the bar code detail is a good size for the AF camera detection lines to accurately detect the spaces between the bars depends on image magnification at the focus distance and angle of view.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow