Decisions Decisions: Which DSLR?

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Questions thread
laquila65
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Re: Decisions Decisions: Which DSLR?
In reply to pixd90, Nov 9, 2012

pixd90 wrote:

Is the image quality that much better with the newer sensor than the D90? Or should I shell out a couple more hundred bucks for the D7000 for the motor and sturdier construction.

I think these are the two key questions to solving your dilemma.

1. Picture quality. It all depends on how you define "picture quality". Most people today are absolutely certain that picture quality has everything to do with the noise level at high ISO settings and megapixel count. The lower the noise and the higher the megapixel count, the better the picture quality by definition. I cannot disagree more, but I'm in the minority. To me, "picture quality" is when you look at the picture and you like how it looks. As simple as that. Has nothing to do with anything else. So, by the popular definition the D7000 is better than the D90. In my opinion, the D90 is better (and the D80 is even better than both of the above).

2. The motor and sturdier constructions. You don't really need the motor nowadays. The only reason to have a motor is if you already have a nice set of the AF-D lenses or want to buy a really nice one that's still a lot cheaper than the AF-S equivalent (like 85/1.4D vs 85/1.4G, the latter is almost double the price). The sturdier construction? Are you going to use it a hummer? Probably not. Are you going to shoot it in harsh conditions all the time? Probably not. The plastic ones are tough enough.

Like I told you before, nothing else really matters, for most people that is.

laquila65's gear list:laquila65's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D40 Nikon D80 Canon EOS 550D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow