Sony Bundle Lens Kit Comparison: New 16-50 Power zoom Lens vs. Old 18-55 Lens

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,430Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Bundle Lens Kit Comparison: New 16-50 Power zoom Lens vs. Old 18-55 Lens
In reply to Enir4, Nov 9, 2012

Enir4 wrote:

kjay80 wrote:...

Any thoughts on the new bundle kit lens being that bad?

The 16-50 is that bad. It demands software correction to take care of vignetting, distortion and fringing to extents I never saw before in my many years in photography. There is in-camera correction only in JPG and only in recently released NEX cmeras.

The 18-55 is no gem by any means, but better in the center (sharper, deeper colors), and it doesn't have these outrageous amounts of flaws in the edges.

The 18-55 is not so great at the corners/edges at 18mm and f3.5.  It also has severe distortion.  These days, I run the output from the kit lens through software correction in my raw converter.

You can say that the 18-55 is better, but without comparing software corrected results from both, I think I'll reserve judgement. If other focal lengths are better on the 16-50, it might even be a fair trade-off.

I had the 16-50 for a few days. Compactness over IQ to an extent I don't care for. Got rid of it, bought the RX100 instead.

But I read that the RX100 needs software correction too.

Enrique

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow