Best JPEG FZ200 default settings?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paalar
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Best JPEG FZ200 default settings?
In reply to dobbre, Nov 9, 2012

I agree with Ronomy that +1 sharpness increases noise at higher ISO's. I've forced myself to learn the ins and outs of low light shooting with the FZ200 now, and have for several days stuck the ISO at 1600, thus forcing me to get my act together. It seems many of the assumptions that are valid at 100ISO no longer holds, one of them is the +1S setting. Another is that the in-camera NR does a good job. At ISO 1600 it doesn't. Plain and simple. It leaves a disagreeable low frequency noise pattern, and only smears the high frequency noise, thus effectively cutting the resolution by at least half.

I also found that ample exposure is the key to good looking high ISO shots, so no more -1/3 exposure compensation. And to carefulle look at the histogram - if the image is weighted to the left, it'l have visible noise, whereas if its in the middle or slightly to the right, some images are almost noise free at Facebook resolution.

I still hold that Natural is the best scene setting for jpegs that allow for max enlargement without jpeg artifacts.

Paalar's gear list:Paalar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow