Canon G15 vs G12 vs P7700 studio comparison tool

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Minh Ta
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Re: Canon G15 vs G12 vs P7700 studio comparison tool
In reply to ZoranC, Nov 9, 2012

ZoranC wrote:

1. I see these shots were taken at 2.8 while mine were taken at F2. That starts to mix up things, closing down aperture increases DOF and thus hides optical misalignment and curvature of the field that will rear their head once you want to shoot wide open. And you do want to shoot wide open that fast lens they are selling you on when you need it, don't you?

2. I don't care did somebody end up with shot that doesn't show smearing for them, what I care about is that two copies I had in my hands in the row did have smearing. If two random picks of the shelf result in both copies showing smearing I can't praise that camera as "sharp", sorry.

I see your points, it's F2. I've also got an impression that Nikon P7700 is sharper than G15 based on the sample shots from dcresource, but to be fair, I think we should compare RAW to RAW.

Given all this, however, I think you might be a bit extreme. I'm under no illusion that the small cameras (& cheapo) could possess an L lens. It's great that Nikon, and also Olympus, have taken the pain to put into these cameras very sharp lenses. However, the sharpest lens may not be the only decisive factor *for me*. For example, I see Oly's XZ-1 as a flop (noisy sensor), although it has one of the sharpest lenses among compact cameras.

As I see it, it might be a trade-off between the shooting speed and sharpness, and for the Canon G15, you may get some balance. If you want the sharpest picture: Fine, stop down the aperture (it's not uncommon to do so with DSLR). And as the reviewers have shown, the optimal sharpness on G15 can rival those on P7700. If you want speed (but may sacrifice the *corner* sharpness a bit), you have an option, and if you often shoot in low light, having the option could be critical. With the Nikon P7700, the story is a bit complicated as you gain a bit of zoom too. However, across the zoom range, P7700 loses 1/3-2/3 stop w.r.t Canon G15 (their sensors are basically similar in noise performance).

So there you have it, my opinion. I think both Canon G15 and Nikon P7700 are great cameras. And of course, the image quality will never achieve that from a DSLR. So the remaining choices are those "little" trade-off that may work for some people with a certain set of features, others with another set of features. Be happy with your choice!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow