Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 & X-Pro1 Dynamic Range
In reply to Imagefoundry, Nov 9, 2012

Imagefoundry wrote:

Hi Norman,

it's possible that some of the effects you are seeing are due to technical and/or colour management issues. Specifically, most of web browsers just recently started to support/respect embedded color profiles and your system's monitor profile. Like for instance, you can get a very different color from Safari vs. Firefox in many situations.

You could be onto something as a few of my own images on other websites have arguably the same issue, although perhaps not so pronounced.

And, continuing along this line, we don't know if DPreview image gallery system strips the original icc profile of an image when it creates in-forum preview or not. That alone can play some tricks with color, not to mention any potential issues on your end - ie. how accurately is your monitor calibrated/profiled and so on.

I've never uploaded to DPreview galleries so have no benchmark.

Color-management issues aside, I probably won't base any purchasing decisions based on what I see in the forums. Most of works shown are really not that strong technically, and are mostly about emotion, composition, and so on. At least that's how I see it, sorry.

I do agree with respect to the current situation. I used to find quality contributions here though and this was one of the places I came for valued comment. I don't mean to sound aloof, negative or carping, but this website and forum aren't what they used to be.

Taking a broader view of Fuji vs. the rest of the world - well, I am in fine art printing business. While majority of what I do is not photographic at all, still every week I get about half a dozen images taken with digicams, being printed at all kinds of magnifications, from 8x10s to mural size. I feel I have a pretty good handle on strengths and weaknesses of current brands and systems, both in terms of color rendition and detail. I would say images from Xpro1 cameras (and by extension, XE1, I assume) generally look very good.

I think your comments carry weight and this is a good endorsement.

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.eu

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow