What wide-angle lens and is this a good price?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Questions thread
AdventureRob
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Re: What wide-angle lens and is this a good price?
In reply to Mingjai, Nov 9, 2012

Mingjai wrote:

AdventureRob wrote:

Anyone else have a better suggestion? From what I've seen on here people seem to rate the 7-14mm higher than the Oly 9-18mm which is why it's not on the list. I'm also not a fan of fisheyes, so the Pana 7mm and Samyang 8mm are of no interest to me.
-- hide signature --

I don't have extensive experience with the other lenses you're considering, but I'm a big fan of the 9-18mm. It covers a very useful focal length range, so you can leave it on your camera and reach into wide-normal territory (very close to the Panasonic 20mm I assume because the 20mm is a bit wider than advertised). Plus it's a very tiny lens--having owned the 4/3 version, I was surprised at how tiny the 9-18mm was when I first opened it--collapsed, it's smaller than the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens. While it's image quality might not be as good as the lenses your are considering, my copy is sharper than the 4/3 version I previously owned. Stopped down to f/5.6, I find the lens compares favorably to the Panasonic 14-45mm at overlapping focal lengths/apertures.

The drawback, of course, it that it's max aperture. When I shoot wide angle, I prefer broad depth-of-field anyway, so I'll stop down to f/8 anyway, so the max aperture isn't too big of a drawback for me.

I know it's not the advice you were looking for, but I say the 9-18mm deserves a serious look as well.

Thanks for your opinion. I'll see if I can find it in a shop and test it out, as I guess there is no reason why it doesn't deserve a chance.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow