My first L - looking for suggestions

Started Nov 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
marcus2137
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Re: My first L - looking for suggestions
In reply to howellls, Nov 9, 2012

My quick story:

About 9 years ago I bought my first DSLR, a Digital Rebel 300D. I got the 18-55 with it and quickly bought a 50mm 1.8. I was happy but wanted a telephoto.

I went to the local shop in order to look at some lenses, but had pretty much settled on the Sigma 70-300APO before I went. Since I was at the store, I looked at some other lenses for fun (Sigma 70-200/2.8 and Canon 70-200/2.8, both were way to large, heavy, and expensive).

Then the store employee took out a 70-200 f4L and told me to test it out along with the Sigma. I took both outside and walked around in front of the store shooting pictures. It was just for fun since the Sigma was about $250 and the Canon f4L was about $600+.

That night, I went back home to look over the pictures on my computer, I was going to see if one of the Sigma zooms was better than another before I went back the next day to buy one. When I looked at the pictures from the Canon L, I was blown away. The colors and sharpness and contrast were beautiful.

I went back to the store and bought the F4L the next day and never regretted the purchase.

Since then I've had lots of other lenses, but the 70-200 F4L is still something I'd recommend to just about anyone who needed a longer zoom. The 17-40 is nice, but I think there are some other lenses in that range, for less money, that are close (unless you want to move to full-frame). But the 70-200 f4L is one of the most affordable, practical, highest quality lenses you can get, period.

I now have the 70-200 f4L IS and it's every bit as good as the non-IS, better actually. The IS is a huge addition to the lens, and the weather sealing gives me the opportunity to shoot in poor conditions, worry-free. But of course it's close to 2x the price. But the used prices on these have been dropping lately and I've been seeing them for $850-900 regularly. At that price, you will never find a better lens if this is a range you use.

If you aren't interested in that, then I'd recommend a nice L prime. I love my 35L, and it would work great on a crop camera as well.

The best lens I've ever used or owned is my 85LII. I picked it up used for a ridiculous price back in 2007. It has magic that even non-photographers easily pick up on when looking at the pictures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow