Started Nov 9, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Just how good is the 20/1.7?
Nov 9, 2012

I'm ready for a change. I currently have the g3 with the 14, 25, and oly45. With the cash i have on hand plus the sell of my g3 and 14mm, I don't have quite enough to upgrade to the em5.  However, if I include my PL25 in the sell, I'd have enough for the em5 kit and 20mm.  I'm keeping my oly 45 regardless.   My dilemma is that the PL25 has been my fav lens of the three (also had 14-45/45-200 but sold due to collecting dust) and feel that I might be giving up too much for too little.  I am really happy with the PL25 performance, fl, and IQ but the size is on the verge of unacceptable.  The kit lens with the em5 is justified IMO due to weathersealing and will be used almost exclusively for times that ask for it (beaches, snow, rain, playgrounds, pools, other dusty or wet environments).  My plan is basically to have the em5 and 20mm 90% of the time hanging from my neck.  The 12-50 in conditions that are relevant/necessary for sealing, and the 45 is simply used for portraits and kept at home with my studio gear.

Right now, the g3 and pl25 is almost always with me everywhere I go. The bulkiness of it is getting a little annoying though.  I even found myself taking pics with my phone because I left the g3 at home a couple of times (defeating the whole purpose of going with m43 in the first place). However, the PL25 allows for a decent secondary portrait lens, an amazing and fast af shooter in low lighting, great for what little videography I do (not much tbh) , and sharp when I want it to be and soft when I need it to be as well.  In all, it's a very versatile and useful lens, but what good is it if it's left at home?

So, I'm seriously considering the 20mm/f1.7.  I'm scared that the fl won't be as versatile but I hated the 50mm efl at first too.  I think the 40mm efl will put a little too much distortion to be used as a secondary portrait lens (My studio is limited in size, backing  up would make the lens wider than my canvas, the PL25 is just narrow enough). I'm also scared that the supposed slow AF won't be able to keep up with my kids.  And lastly, I wonder if that 1/2 stop aperture will have an impact on what i'm used to.

Pertaining to my body upgrade, I'm pretty much done with color correcting and playing with wb sliders in LR because lumix is inconsistent as hell in this regard and I want to give Oly a shot before fleeing off to  a different mount.  D5100 is dirt cheap now with a mix of a couple of 1.8s and a fast third party zoom is tempting Regardless of its bulk.

And if it wasn't obvious enough, I primarily take pictures of my family but I really do my best in making sure that its not all snap shots.  I try to think of every picture as a lifestyle portrait, incorporating composition, decisive and fleeting moments, good lighting, and capturing emotions as well.

ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow