Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,649
Like?
Re: Several choices.
In reply to LikeMagic, Nov 9, 2012

LikeMagic wrote:

Thank you all for some awesome advice!

There are so many good suggestions here. I think it puts 3 lenses in my future....:

- a prime for indoor low light: probably the 35mm/1.8G or alternatively a flash unite!

- a telephoto (50-150mm/2.8, 70-200/4, 80-200 or even 55-200) - I think I would be wise to try to rent a few of the above lenses and see which one works best for me.

- upgrade my current midrange zoom: one of the 17-50mm/2.8, nikkor 17-55mm/2.8 or nikkor 24-70/2.80 or Tamron 28-75mm/2.8. Again I will rent or borrow a couple of the above and see what will work best.

- Looks like my "to-buy-list" just got longer

Thanks again - super helpful and greatly appreciated!

The Tamron mid range zooms are considered very good value for money, ther 28-75mm shows weaknesses on a FF camera but much less so on a crop camera while the 17-50mm(the older non VC version is spsoed to be sharper) is crop only but supposidly still very good.

You should have a good idea with your existing 50mm 1.8 how large an appature you need for indoor shooting and how shallow a depth of field your comfortable working with. The shorter focal lenghts will provide more of the latter but with someone the same size(so closer to you) in the frame it'll be the same.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow