Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
Re: EM-5, Lumix 20/1.7, ISO 3200, VSCO Ilford HP5 preset
In reply to Steven Wandy, Nov 9, 2012

Steven Wandy wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

A little pricey, I think it's most of interest to those that shot film for a period, but worth a peek for sure. I may have picked it up from Americayall if it was he who mentioned it in the past several months.

Definitely correct about a little pricey - checked out their website. But agree it would be of interest for those who remember/used some of these film stocks. (Fond memories of Kodak Tri-X - and we complain about noise/grain. Now that was grainy in the higher speeds!!!)

They run discounts when they introduce a new set of presets; when Film 2 was introduced, you could get it for 1/2 price with a purchase of Film 1. That makes it slightly more bearable.

I like to look of many negative films, though I never shot with them much. Having used them for a while, there are a number of things I like about the presets:

• easy to get a consistent look across images, while still making shot-by-shot adjustments;
  • faster workflow: once I've selected a preset, most of my fiddling happens in the Basic panel in LR;
  • a more film-like rolloff to whites and blacks;
  • a choice between different pleasantly-inaccurate color palettes.

Something I've noticed since I began using them: the initial rendering of an image with which I start my processing has a big impact on the finished result; starting with different presets, I get to very different finished results. This made me realize how much influence I had been allowing to Adobe's defaults! Selecting very different presets at the outset makes it easier to produce different versions of an image (if I'm so inclined), which I can choose among later.

Here are three different treatments of the same capture…

Kodak Portra 160NC +

Ilford HP5

Fuji Neopan 1600

None of these are the presets straight; they were all substantially adjusted after the initial preset was applied.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow