the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)

Started Nov 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
Re: the saddest day - when new york swallows your new 24-70 (dont trust posties!!!!)
In reply to J Birn, Nov 9, 2012

Don't give up hope!  Anything of international origin can occasionally get detoured endlessly by the USPS.  Local post offices tell you they can't answer questions about international shipments and tell you to call an 800 number that gives you nothing but a useless recorded message.  Meanwhile, tracking information can stay unchanged for days.

When i ordered a used Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS lens (valued at a little over $1,000) from a very reliable dealer in Japan, the package was shipped by air from Osaka to customs at O'Hare Airport.  From there it was sent to the USPS distribution center in Detroit--the wrong distribution center for the west side of Michigan where I live.  It sat there "undeliverable" for several days while I tried in vain to contact someone there.  Then suddenly the tracking information indicated that the package had been returned to Osaka! At that point my heart almost stopped and the dealer in Osaka was in total disbelief!  Next, EMS in Osaka promptly shipped the package back to O'Hare customs, who this time routed the package to the USPS distribution center in Grand Rapids--which was the correct place to send it.  Finally, about a day later, the package was delivered to my house.  Thank heavens this particular dealer used the best packing materials I have ever seen and my lens was delivered in excellent+ condition despite bouncing back and forth between Osaka and the U.S.

Another time back when I collected sports memorabilia, I ordered an item from Canada that I think cost about $25.  The package was obviously opened and inspected by Canadian customs.  When I received it, the package was about as secure as a McDonald's takeout bag but somehow my item was in okay condition.

Based on my other international purchases, I don't think these things happen very often, but when they do happen it certainly makes for a harrowing experience.

Good luck!  I hope they find your lens!

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow