Gymnastic - how to gain access to the competion floor ?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Re: Gymnastic - how to gain access to the competion floor ?
In reply to plautoq, Nov 9, 2012

plautoq wrote:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I'll try your recommendations, but I'll plan on a 100-400L sooner than I though. If I can't get closer to the action, I'll bring the action closer to me.. :-).. And if I win the lottery, I'll probably get the 600L as well.. One just can keep dreaming.... Cheers.

I wouldn't suggest that lens for this purpose.  First, you'd be better off with something faster.  The light level usually varies from fairly poor to "you have to be kidding" bad.  It's common for me to be struggling to get 1/400 at iso 6400 and f2.8.  Second, for the most part you don't need that much reach.  There have been times when it's been a big meet and they've rented out a college field house and the distances can get pretty long but normally that would be over kill.  In fact, it's not all that uncommon where the 100 end would be too long for at least an event or two (especially if you are using a crop camera.)

My suggestion would be a 70-200.  You can go with the sigma if the canon is beyond the budget.  On a crop sensor the older sigma 50-150 isn't a bad choice either.

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow