Olympus solved the banding issue of the 20mm!

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,298Gear list
Like?
Re: For our younger friends here,
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Nov 9, 2012

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Now, 30 years later, after numerous other makers like Pentax have later released pancake lenses, it should not be so weird. Distance scale and long focus throw? Yep.

The Zuiko 40/2 is actually pretty late (1987) and certainly not the first of its kind. Some pancake lenses started to appear already in the late 60s. However, these were pretty slow (2.8 at best). In the late 70s, however, a bunch of faster pancakes appeared, for example, the Konica AR Hexanon 40/1.8 (1979) , the Minolta MD Rokkor-X 45/2 (1978) and the Nikon Nikkor AiS 50/1.8 (1978).

Maybe it was 1987 in your country, Sweden, but I definitely played with the Zuiko 40mm f/2 lens while in Hong Kong, where it was available in all the shops, in 1984. Nobody cared about it though at the time, too slow, too "cute" or toy like for a nice OM SLR, could not be taken seriously, and as I said the 50mm f/1.8 was so cheap. OK, it is probably not the first of its kind, just first for Olympus.

It might have been 1984. The date I cited was based on the source I link to below, but at least one of the links on the same page (the first) says 1984.

http://www.beanos.com/~tsoutij/wp/stuff/index-of-pancake-lenses/olympus-om-zuiko-40mm-f20

At any rate, it was far from the first pancake and pretty late even among the faster ones.

More info on pancakes in general here for those interested:

http://www.beanos.com/~tsoutij/wp/stuff/index-of-pancake-lenses

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow