Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,410Gear list
Like?
Re: A faster M 4/3 zoom
In reply to Francis E, Nov 9, 2012

Francis E wrote:

Anders W wrote:

to the 14-45, it is generally considered the best of the many kit zooms. It is very good optically and its only serious weakness is that it is pretty slow. Personally, I solve that problem by supplementing it with fast primes (12, 20, 45).

Could you define a kit zoom for me? Does it have characteristics other than the fact that it's sold as a 'kit' with a new camera, compared to zooms that aren't?

Other characteristics of MFT kit zooms are that they have a range starting somewhere between 12 and 14 mm and ending somewhere between 42 and 50 mm. Most are 14-42, one is 14-45, and one is 12-50. As to max aperture, they all start with f/3.5 at the wide end and finish with f/5.6 (mostly) or f/6.3 (the 12-50) at the long end. I wouldn't say these characteristics define kit zooms but they do describe them as matters stand right now.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow