Is this a good flash for NEX6 ?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Questions thread
chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this a good flash for NEX6 ?
In reply to chromnd, Nov 8, 2012

chromnd wrote:

My NEX-6 will hopefully arrive next week (according to Sony Germany). Meanwhile, I bought this flash for the NEX-6:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003ZVNOUY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Unfortunately, I had to learn that hotshoe is not like hotshoe... As Yezariael already said we will need an adapter from ISO to Sony hotshoe:

http://www.sony.de/product/dsa-other-accessories/adp-maa

It's 28 EUR - not really cheap for this little adapter. What's even worse is, that this adapter will ship between 22nd November - 26th November if you order now directly from Sony.

Okay, I got the adapter earlier so I did try my new Metz MB 50 AF-1 flash with my Sony NEX-6. Everything expect the "MF Assist light"* works like a charm. Aperture, focal length, etc. is all reported to the flash. Also the Flash Modes, and flash sync speed is reported to the flash. You can even use the flash for shutter speeds > flash sync speed - I never knew this was possible. The power of the flash decreases because the flash will last longer in this situation - great!

As the only external flash I ever had, was the HVL F20S for my NEX-3, I'm pretty surprised, how much functionality one can put into a flash. I could not believe there was really a motor inside, but I can hear it "working" when I change the focal length.

So a complete new world opened to me - very nice, let's see how it performs in real life

*) Only the NEX-6 internal MF assist light is triggered, no matter what.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow