A faster M 4/3 zoom

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,343Gear list
Like?
Re: A faster M 4/3 zoom
In reply to Francis E, Nov 8, 2012

Francis E wrote:

Could someone kindly recommend a better and faster zoom than the kit lens that came with my G1? (Lumix G Vario 14~45/3.5~5.6 ASPH)

I had a look at the Panasonic lens list and can't see a suitable one there (I'm looking again at 14~50 or thereabouts) but perhaps there's one in the Olympus range or elsewhere.

I do have the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8~3.5/14~50 ASPH but my version loses functionality when used on the G1 with adapter.

The only fast MFT zooms at present are the new Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. Something inbetween these and the kit zooms (slightly longer range than 12-35 but not as fast as a constant 2.8) may well be in the works but nothing is known at present. So for now, you are left with the choice between a kit zoom, the new fast 2.8 zooms, and an adapted FT zoom.

As to the 14-45, it is generally considered the best of the many kit zooms. It is very good optically and its only serious weakness is that it is pretty slow. Personally, I solve that problem by supplementing it with fast primes (12, 20, 45).

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow