ZoranC
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,468
Like?
Re: Canon G15 vs G12 vs P7700 studio comparison tool
In reply to Dimitri Khoz, Nov 8, 2012

Dimitri Khoz wrote:

ZoranC wrote:

tron555 wrote:

I have also noticed at default settings, the P7700 does take sharper pictures than the G15/G12. I think that could be resolved by:

1. Shooting in P-mode and increasing the in camera sharpness by +1 or +2, if needed.
  2. Shooting in P-mode and changing the setting to Superfine quality instead of Fine quality.
  3. Shooting in RAW and sharpening in PP'ing.
  4. Shooting in JPG and sharpening in PP'ing.

There is nothing really wrong with the P7700, and I do like the swivel screen and much better reach! The only way the P7700 can compare with the G15 (IMO) is to always shoot RAW since it's JPG's do NOT have the same IQ. I would be interesting to see some full size images with shots made at different setting to see if or how much of a difference it makes, hint, hint

Kind of smearing my test photos show can't be "resolved" by increasing sharpness.

IR have made real world test as well

and there were no smearing to find in the samples.

1. I see these shots were taken at 2.8 while mine were taken at F2. That starts to mix up things, closing down aperture increases DOF and thus hides optical misalignment and curvature of the field that will rear their head once you want to shoot wide open. And you do want to shoot wide open that fast lens they are selling you on when you need it, don't you?

2. I don't care did somebody end up with shot that doesn't show smearing for them, what I care about is that two copies I had in my hands in the row did have smearing. If two random picks of the shelf result in both copies showing smearing I can't praise that camera as "sharp", sorry.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow