Educate me: Sony new Alpha such as 77 vs Panasonic GH series

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?
Re: Educate me: Sony new Alpha such as 77 vs Panasonic GH series
In reply to Maverick_, Nov 8, 2012

I've shot extensively with the GH2, sold it for the A65, have the EM5, and am considering the GH3.

Sony is probably better for stills. All indications are that the GH3 sensor will be equivalent to the EM5, which means effectively identical performance to the Sony A57/A65/A77. But it is a faster camera with PDAF and better burst rate. The caveat is that Sony JPEGs suck. I'm sorry but they're practically bottom of the barrel, similar to the older JPEG processing seen on the pre-G3 Panasonics. You're shooting a GH1 now, so if you're content with that then I would not consider the Sony cameras a problems by any means. The GH3 is likely to be slightly better though, and of course the Olympus JPEGs are a cut above. (Up to ISO 3200. Higher than that, the processing on Olympus suddenly and violently degrades.)

On the video side, the Sony's not bad. Pretty good in fact. But oh boy, pull it up side by side against hacked GH2 footage and the difference is night and day. Sharper, crisper, cleaner. Not very forgiving about dynamic range, and the Sony stabilization seems to be better to me. But in terms of sheer output quality, the hacked GH2 is a world apart. That's not an indictment of the very competent Sony, don't get me wrong, but it's just not in the same league.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow