Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW/JPG Article
In reply to ranger604, Nov 8, 2012

ranger604 wrote:

RAW vs. JPG Article

Found value in this simple article, and thought I would share.

not intended to ignite flame-throwers, or sharpen swords. Just an article that helped me through a better understanding.

Well, it looks like the flame throwers got ignited anyways.

From my personal experience, I prefer RAW.  I currently shoot in RAW+JPEG but I am leaning towards shooting RAW only.  My main reason, at the time, for keeping JPEG was for the Mrs. to have something to easily upload her pictures from.  But with the improvements in editors and their plug-ins that will convert the RAWs for her automatically, I am finding less use for the JPEGs and they are now just taking up space on my hard drive.

But, I have to say, your ease of use and how much positive experience you get from your RAWs is heavily dependent on the application you are using to convert them.  Some offer better "out of camera" default settings than others as well as being more faithful to the colors you are expecting than others.  This will allow you to not spend as much time working on your photos and more time viewing, printing, or sharing them.  Of course, this will vary from camera to camera.  The latest Lightroom, for me, seems to do a pretty bang up job.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow