Will a Canon shoot with the mirror propped up?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WD40
Regular MemberPosts: 474
Like?
Will a Canon shoot with the mirror propped up?
Nov 8, 2012

Does anyone happen to know if the older non-pro Canon DSLRs will shoot if the mirror is physically propped up and prevented from moving back down between shots?   Or will they throw an error and refuse to operate?

I'm working on a DIY frame-by-frame telecine project, and will be needing a camera body that I can trigger repeatedly for thousands of continuous shots. The exposure and white balance will be locked (manually set), and the focusing is via external optics. Basically, once it is constructed, there will be no need to look through the viewfinder after that.

I know that the later live-view enabled bodies can do a full-time mirror lockup, but given that I will undoubtedly kill several bodies due to the shutter life expectancy, this would add substantially to the project cost.   From what I understand, the older bodies (say, the 350D and below) will only do a single-frame mirror lockup, nothing for continuous bursts or multiple shots...   hence the question about physically propping the mirror up.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS Kiss Digital N)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow