My hopes & dreams

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,251Gear list
Like?
Re: yes Kev
In reply to xandxor, Nov 8, 2012

xandxor wrote:

What is the balance of evidence that would convince you that a certain faith-based belief (for instance the creation story) is wrong?

First let me make it clear that I do not follow the Old Testament - it is the Law of Moses and it pre dates Christianity. I personally believe that the only reason why it is even included in the Christian Bible is as a point of reference so that we can know how things were before God sent his Son so that I could have salvation through Him.

As to the many stories that are told in the Old Testament I do not necessarily think they are all supposed to be taken as literal facts depicting exactly how things happened. For example when it says God did something in a "day" I do not believe that they mean a "day" as we define it. Our "day" is the amount of time it takes our earth to rotate once - why would that be God's day when He was around before the earth even existed? I also do not think that creation and evolution are mutually exclusive - I believe both to be true - we were created and we evolved and as such I dont think there could ever be evidence that could prove this to not be possible. Just because God created something that He called "man" does not necessarily mean it was exactly as it is now, for all I know he started with some simple cell that He knew would evolve into us. Just as we grow corn from seeds God could have grown "man" from the seeds of life.

you could say that I believe in intelligent design as opposed to the strict idea of creationism as told in the story from the Old Testament.

So now you tell me - What is the balance of evidence that would convince you that the idea that we are just some accident of nature was wrong?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow