X-S1 giving my DSLR a run for the money

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: not really ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Nov 8, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Well, her composition is far better. You managed to cut the squirrel in half with the background. You did not capture the ambient light in the background as the Pentax so clearly did. You managed to get the eye in shadow while the Pentax shot has the face fully lit and thus much more pleasant to look at. The platform is far too light in your image when compared with the Pentax image. And the Pentax tones are much richer while yours look washed out.

All in all the Pentax (or your wife) crushed the X-S1 (or you) ...

The point here is that comparisons like this are about the photographer, not the technology ... I think you can see who I think won this battle ...

I appreciate your comments Kim. Just to explain a little farther - I had to crop the Pentax image quite a bit in order to get the size comparison fairly equal. That is why the overall composition is better in the Pentax image. And yes, the Fuji shot has cut off a lot of the squirrel but it was moving so fast it was just about impossible to get a nice composition.

The eye shadow is merely a case of how the squirrel was facing the light at the time of each capture.

The background and ambient light is different as we were shotting from different levels (angles).

I will agree that the overall tone of the Pentax image wins - not surprising with APS-C vs the small Fuji sensor.

My only objective with posting these examples was to notice the image quality of the finer details where I feel the X-S1 did very well.

-- hide signature --

~Stan~

coaltrain's gear list:coaltrain's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow