Anyone had to have viewfinder or AF problems fixed?

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
AMM66
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Re: Anyone had to have viewfinder or AF problems fixed?
In reply to Glenn, Nov 8, 2012

Glenn wrote:

I'm thinking the lens should be ok. I have 2 lenses I've dropped into a river they dried out fine and one of them is still working great 12 years after the indecent. the key to killing fungus is UV light.. it kills everything.

The camera is a different animal. Sony usually has a flat rate to fix them but since you told them it got dunked they (in the US it's a third party repair shop) might not follow that policy and then charge it as time and materials instead. Might still be cheaper than buying a new body but it might not be wise. electronics generally suffer other failures in other components after they have had water damage. the damage continues after the unit is dry as some of the coatings may have been compromised. I just wanted to point out that if you repair a dunked body then problems you have now might not be your last.

Thanks for the tip about UV light.  How long should the UV light be used?  Can it do any damage if used too long?  I did decide to bite the bullet and ordered another a57 body last night.  Now if I could just decide which tripod to buy in place of the one that broke literally a couple of days after the a57 went for a swim.  It just wasn't my week when it came to camera equip., but hey it could always be worse.  At least my house hasn't been blown away by a hurricane.

Angie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelammiller/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow