In camera HDR scene mode - FZ200

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,294Gear list
Like?
Re: In camera HDR scene mode - FZ200
In reply to kkardster, Nov 8, 2012

You just need to be careful and not point it at the sun for very long.  The optics focus the light to a point on the sensor and it will heat up very quickly especially when the sun is high in the sky and passing through less atmospher.  Just be careful and take the shot quickly.  The light path will heat up very quickly.

When I was a kid I had a cheap telescope and didn't understand the dynamics and while I had a sun filter it was an eyepiece filter like the type used for welding masks.  The sun focused to a point on the eyepiece heated up the filter and it cracked.  Luckly I was just pulling my face away from the eyepiece when it cracked or my eye would have taken an intense hit.  The optics heated up so that the tube became very hot!  Think about how you can start a fire with a maginfying glass.  The lens on the camera is a magnifying glass.  The lens mounting is plastic in these cameras and I don't think you want it to get to hot although I would think the sensor would fry first.

Sunset is safer...less intense sunlight due to it passing through more atmospher but it will still heat up if you leave it there too long.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow