Would like a good 27-200 lens

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Schnapper
Contributing MemberPosts: 911
Like?
Re: Would like a good 27-200 lens
In reply to Sten E, Nov 8, 2012

Sten E wrote:

I am contemplating switching from APS-C to fullframe.

Currently I have a Pentax K-5 DSLR and my main lens is the Pentax 18-135 which corresponds to 27-202 in fullframe. This lens covers most of my needs, and only rarely do I switch to my Sigma 10-20 f3.5 for wide angle or to my Sigma 70 for macro. I also have a compact Canon G1X for street photography and for occasions when I want a light burden. This is a good collection of equipment, and I am satisfied with it.

But I am tempted by the dynamic range and other advantages of fullframes like Canon 5D III, though I miss a good and reasonably small lens with the range I want, 27-200. I would need to get the Canon 24-105 and the Canon 70-200 II. The Canon 70-200 II is big, and it is uncomfortable to switch lenses. The Canon 28-300 is far too big, and the Tamron 28-300 has probabaly too low quality.

I would be interested in your views on this matter.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Sten

I think Canon makes a 28-135 for FF, but I don't think the lens is very highly regarded.

A range of 27-202 in FF would be a pretty tough range to fill with a high quality lens - with a zoom multiplier of over 7 (Pentax doesn't make one either, AFAIK, for full frame... but I could be wrong)... thus the size and cost of the Canon EF 28-300.  The lens you have is the same range as the Canon EF-S 18-135 (for APS-C cameras, on an APS-C camera).  Your lens is also f/3.5-5.6, so comparing it to the 70-200/2.8 II on a Canon FF is not really apples to apples.  If you were to go Canon and want to cover the range of 27-200 mm in a single lightweight lens, I'd suggest going with the 7D or 60D (crop APS-C cameras) and the EF-S 18-135 or EF-S 18-200 (although they both give up some IQ from the reviews I've read).  I agree with the other poster in this  thread that if you're switching to FF for IQ reasons, you're better off going with a 24-105/4 IS plus a 70-200/4 IS... You can use the 24-105 for everyday walk-around use and bring the 70-200/4 IS when you need something longer.  After all, that's why the lenses are changeable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow