I really wish Nikon would bring a 24-70 f/4 to market with "pro grade" optics.

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?
I really wish Nikon would bring a 24-70 f/4 to market with "pro grade" optics.
Nov 8, 2012

I would love to have something smaller and really sharp for my D800 with the same zoom range as my 24-70 f/2.8.  The 2.8 lens is very front heavy and I would love a smaller zoom with the same range with very sharp optics.  I would not mind giving up the stop of light, because I am not using it for very shallow DOF.  Just for more general walk around, event and landscape shots.

While I love the 24-70, the D800 has really exploited it's corner softness at the wide end as well.  I think it's time for Nikon to re-visit this range in their pro-grade lineup.

The 24-85 3.5-4.5 images I've seen from a D800 really haven't impressed me, nor has the 24-120 F/4 (especially for what they charge for this one), otherwise I would have jumped on one of these right away.   I don't suspect Nikon will do this, but considering they have done it with the 16-35 and now the 70-200, I still have some hope that it may happen one day.

I think Canon has done a good job in managing their lens lineup in this regard, though I have no interest in moving away, as I am happy with my Nikon rig and not willing to trade one set of compromises for another.  Just thinking out loud.

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow