Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8 OS Active Status Time?

Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
R Dunlop
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8 OS Active Status Time?
Nov 8, 2012

Hi,

Just purchased Sigma 17 - 70mm zoom, 2.8 - 4 DC Macro OS for my D90.  Instructions are a bit vague.

Under heading NOTICE:

This lens is powered from the camera. The stabalizer will be placed to a specific position in the lens body and then shooting will be possible (stabalizer unit will switch to active status) regardless of the OS switch position. The active status will take approximately a minute from turning the camera on or depressing the shutter button halfway.

Please note the 'english' after NOTICE, its verbatum.

OK, does this mean wait for one minute before taking a photo? I doubt this as it doesn't make sense.  Does this mean the Optical Stabalizer operates for one minute when activated by 1/2 press or camera power up even if the OS is switched off, if so does that mean you have only one minute after 1/2 press to take a photo before it goes off if OS is switched on?  Does this mean even if the OS is switched off the active status is initiated every time with 1/2 press.

I think 'active status' is Sigma's term for OS operating normally??

I also took a few test shots.  It would appear the OS doesn't work on 'burst mode', at max FPS the first photo seems OK then the others are blurred by movement.  I'm guessing the OS needs time between each shot to work???

The instructions are very weak, any help appreciated, also look forward to any other tips regards getting the best out of this lens.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Hotworks

ANSWER:
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow