Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,879
Like?
Comedy/Musical Theater with the E520
Nov 8, 2012

SPT (Small Professional Theater) has partnered with LegionArts and CSPS in Cedar Rapids for several years. They have never had extensive photos taken of their performances, so now that I am the official house photographer for CSPS, they were exited about the opportunity.

Therein lies a complication of theater photography. I recommended I shoot the dress rehearsal to allow the most flexibility in capturing images as well as not getting in the way of any audience members. The director wanted shots from a live performance. While there is often more energy in the performance than dress rehearsal, the limitations to me were obvious. I pretty much had only 2 spots I could shoot from as the house was packed. I either had to stay in the seat I picked out right below the stage, or go back to the lighting/sound booth.

Another issue for me was they did prop changes between each skit or musical number. They had not marked the stage for prop placement so they often positioned themselves upstage of the best lighting. I had a lot of situations where the lower part of the actors' bodies were in good lighting but their faces were in fringe lighting.

This meant not being able to catch some of the angles I often prefer during performances. Still, I like what I've edited so far (I told them I would end up with between 75 and 100 shots for them to use) and they are thrilled.

E520, 14-54 Mk1 and 40-150.

These are some of my favorites. Full gallery here.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow