Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cplittleton
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
SoCal Options?
Nov 8, 2012

I have just booked a trip to southern California in early December where I will have almost a day and a half for landscape photography (afternoon of the day I fly in plus most of the following day).

Two trips ago, I did a half day in Joshua Tree NP (south of Twentynine Palms); on my last trip I did 3/4 of day in Mojave National Preserve (east of Barstow).  I was more impressed (photographically) by Mojave staying through sunset, but got some good images from both trips.

Now that I have touched on these two large areas, what would you sample next?  The first thought in my mind is to go north to Sequoia & Kings Canyon NPs.  However, this means I go right through Angeles NF on I-5, and there are several other NFs ringing the LA area as well.  Plus, I am sure there are many state parks, scenic areas, and other landscapes out there. I have tried the shoreline and found it annoyingly inaccessible in the developed LA area - lots of yacht clubs and private residences; very few uncluttered public spaces.

My goal is to hit maybe the top half dozen sites in southern California for a day or so each, and based on these experiences decide where to spend a week or so of focused photography / vacation time.

Suggestions?

cplittleton's gear list:cplittleton's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Nik HDR Efex Pro +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow