Started Nov 8, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LikeMagic
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Lens advice for D90 and little kids....
Nov 8, 2012

I have been following the forums for a while now. I know there is a lot of threads out there - but still don't feel like I have found an exact match for my question - so I hope you all bear with me for asking!

I am seeking advice as to which lens or lenses should be next on my list! I have been shooting with my D90 for 3 years now and D50 before that. I think I may move to FX in time - but probably not within the next year!

At the moment I mainly shoot pictures of my small kids (1 and 3 years old). I do travel a fair bit and also enjoy taking action shots of racehorses! I am looking for a lens to give a better bokeh then my current lenses. I need fast AF and I am probably looking for a zoom.

I currently have the following:

D90

nikkor 18-105mm

nikkor 50mm/1.8D

I like my 50mm however I find the AF too slow for candids of the kids most of the time - and it is too tight indoors when I would have liked it for low light.

I like the range of 18-105 and it is fine in good light - but I don't like it indoors in low light.

I have been all over the place when it comes to what to buy next!! I have been very close to pulling the trigger on a used Nikkor 17-55mm/2.8 - but I am afraid it is not the best range for me - as I find I use the 60-100mm range of my kit lens a fair bit.

I have been thinking of the following:

- Nikkor 80-200mm/2.8 or a 70-200mm/2.8 or 4.0

or/and

- 17-55mm/2.8 or 24-70mm

Are there other lenses I should be looking at? I am not opposed to used or third party lenses either.

I would like to keep it under $1000.

Inputs greatly appreciated!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D50 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow