Started Nov 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,978Gear list
Like?
Division I Basketball with the NEX-7, courtside
Nov 8, 2012

I was privileged to get to be one of the few photographers who got clearance for the University of Kentucky's final exhibition match against Transylvania University on the sidelines. There I was, sitting among the "big guys" with their D4's and 200mm f/2's with my "petty" NEX-7 and trusty 105mm f/1.8 and 180mm f/2.8 Nikkors (in front of 20,000 fans, too).

Needless to say, they probably got better photos than I did, but we were in no way competing. A few of the photographers were quite interested seeing a sports photographer using a manual focus set-up. I got "the look" more than a few times from many people, even from non-photographers (a.k.a. the court security) wondering what I was doing with a photo pass on the court with what looked like a big point-and-shoot. I just shut them up with pictures popping up in focus on my review screen. Apologies if the white balance is off on some of these, it took me a while to manually set it during the game:

105mm, f/2

180mm, f/2.8

105mm, f/2

105mm, f/2

105mm, f/2

And no, I was on the wrong side of the court to capture the upsetting dunk Brandon Rash threw on Willie Cauley-Stein.

One more thing, DPReview's compression of these files in the forum is awful. >:(

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Nikon D4 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow