One SSD + one SATA, or two SSD + two SATA

Started Nov 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timskis6
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,562
Like?
260MB/sec read, 250MB/sec write
In reply to Richard, Nov 8, 2012

Thanks Richard for taking the time to reply back. I think you're right, I'm probably about at the maximum performance with my current PC hardware. I do think the 1.33GB catalog file is slowing things down, I will work on reducing that size in the next few days.

I benchmarked both SSD drives, the results are below:

Based on what you mentioned earlier, I don't think using the Intel 40GB SSD above will help me out much. I bought it basically for increased read speeds as compared with a HDD (especially random read speeds, such as for the OS), knowing the write speeds were slow, and I was OK with that at the time.

I also looked into SATA 3 PCI express cards, but I'm not convinced I'd see much of an improvement. I think read/writes on my Samsung SSD (above) aren't quite saturating the 3Gbps SATA 2 interface, at least for sustained sequential read/writes.

Based on your feedback and the info above, I think I'll need to work on the catalog file, and other than that, wait for a new PC build (I don't think it's worth my money to buy $100 in RAM and/or a new processor, when I'm stuck with a motherboard from a few generations ago).

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Tim
www.developemotion.com
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/7-14/12-60/35-100/150/EC20
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow