What the 35 / 2 IS has done for me, and, more specifically, Canon.

Started Nov 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,223
Like?
Re: What the 35 / 2 IS has done for me, and, more specifically, Canon.
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Nov 7, 2012

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

The 35 / 2 IS pushed me over to staying with Canon. It's a killer lens, and I hope the first of a series.

Third in "a series"... and the first two were f2.8, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 24/2 IS. I am sure a $1000+ 85/1.8 and 100/2 IS will show up eventually unless the current management is sacked.

I'm not holding my breath for the other lenses in the "series", but the 35 / 2 IS would be the one I'd most want (followed by a 50 / 2 IS 1:1 macro, but if such a lens is ever made, I'm sure it will be f/2.8, not f/2).

It is nice that Canon will sell at least one of these lenses, and perhaps even a body for their strange efforts. I don't think the DSLR division are worthy of anything but scorn at this point, and there is no encouragement from these cascading disappointments. Any money I have spent on camera gear in the last three years has gone to Olympus/Panasonic, so it is their loss. Maybe one day they will have a 50+MP FF camera with a quality sensor that competes on price with Sony and Nikon... but again, I'm not holding my breath.

With the exception of the sensor in the 5D3, I think the 5D3 is a really good body.  In fact, the 5D3 (sensor included) is everything I wanted in a 5D2, and then some.  It's just that at this point in the game, I was looking for a little more in terms of the sensor.

However, as I'm not a landscape photographer (and, indeed, shoot mainly wide open with fast primes), and the fact the largest I print is 20x30 inches and I rarely crop, that 22 MP is not that big of a deal for me, and 11 stops of DR is "good enough".  That said, the 5D3 with the D800 sensor would be pretty much ideal for me.  By "ideal", I mean that I don't think anything better would make any difference at all in terms of my photography.

In other words, I'm thinking the 5D4 will be as good as I'll ever need, unless there's some radical new tech that makes a huge jump (e.g. 90% QE, <1 e- read noise, each pixel records all colors, sensor IS).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow