Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
iamthehof
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Fast Lens or Bigger Sensor?
Nov 7, 2012

The subject line is kind of over simplified what my real question is.  First, the "problem".  I'm not new to photography at all, I've had a ton of film cameras (mostly rangefinders), a canon 400d and a few misc digital p&s cams.  I'm now looking for a camera setup that I want to use for travel and every day shooting.  My budget is $2000 max, body and lens(es) I'd like to keep it more around 1500.

What I want, primary concern is taking photos at this point, hd video would be a plus.  I've always been a fan of rangefinders and really fast glass.  So I see the 25mm f/0.95 Voigtlander thats out now for mft and that intrigues me...  Assuming I get this lens my thoughts on bodies are either a used olympus pl3 or used nex-5 for a less expensive route.  Current maxed price option is the mentioned lens and an Olympus om-d or completely different direction Ricoh GXR, a12 M-mount and a 40mm f1.4 nokton (yeah, this is way different it's explained more below).

Now for the actual question.  Am I exaggerating the awesomeness of this new Voigtlander lens?  Is somebody out there smashing their head against a keyboard in confusion as to why I wouldn't just get [insert bigger sensor equipped dslr here] with a [insert less expensive but still quite fast lens here]?  I'm overwhelmed at this point, there's so many options.  I like mft cameras for the small size and dslrs for the large sensors.  I don't even know if it's worth mentioning but I am one of thoooose people who dream of a Leica, mostly because I just plain like focusing on a rangefinder far more than a dslr.  With nex cameras and mft it seems like it's easier to use m-mount lenses, so the idea of when i do one day own my m9 or m-e i can use all of my lenses on all of my cameras, it's a nice though, even if it's a lofty one.

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow