Anyone looking at X-e1 vs. NEX 6?

Started Nov 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
jafary
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone looking at X-e1 vs. NEX 6?
In reply to Cane, Nov 7, 2012

I hesitated between both cameras and finally opted for the NEX 6. I wanted a mirrorless camera with APS-C sized sensor,  a good EVF and the smallest body. To me the NEX 6 wins it for:

• smaller body
  • I don't like retro style (X-E1 and olympus OM-D): this is very subjective
  • cost for the system (body+kit lens and one additional prime)
  • ease of use for manual focus (I plan to use my Nikon glasses on this camera)
  • expectation of better lenses

The fuji wins it for the image quality (no AA filter) and the quality of the lenses (according to the early reviews), but I don't think that the difference in picture quality justifies the difference in price for me. It's +$400 for the kit. So better image quality is the least we can expect.

I didn't try to shoot with the Fuji but I quickly played with the NEX7 and I was surprised that the AF, even indoor, is quite fast, not like I used to read about. I know I'm taking a risk going with NEX system, because I hear everywhere about the lack of quality for the lenses and the poor JPEG rendering.  There's new lenses coming next month (the 10-18mm and the 35mm) and more to come in 2013. I'm hopeful that things will get better.

jafary's gear list:jafary's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow