Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jdonalds
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
Sony SAL18250 repair parts not available
Nov 7, 2012

I sent my Sony SAL18250 lens into KEH for repair mid October. I emailed them for an update this week (Nov 4). Their response:

"Talked to the tech and he said we are unable to get parts for that lens anymore. So he is trying to get it repaired without having to send it back un-repaired."

This is a big disappointment to me. This lens model was released in 2007 but it is widely used and still on sale. I can't imagine why Sony wouldn't supply repair parts any longer.

As a background for why this lens needed repair...

I bought the A55 and SAL18250 in October 2010. Within two weeks of ownership my wrist strap failed, the camera dropped from my arm to a concrete floor hitting the lens on one edge. I was on vacation in Paris at the time and my heart sank as that was my only lens and camera on the trip. Fortunately everything worked fine.

Over these two years I have taken perhaps 20,000 photos with the lens. About a year ago I noticed a change in the pitch and sound of the auto focus. Then again this year another change in the pitch, sound, auto focus speed, and ability to lock focus onto a subject. Finally there were times the lens would lock up and freeze the camera. I do have another lens that works fine so I knew it was the lens not the body.

So I'm still a big fan of the lens. I'm just concerned about not being able to get it repaired in the future (or even this time).

Do you think the Sony repair shop in Texas would have parts?

-- hide signature --

John

Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow