Help me choose tripod legs from these 2 choices.

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rickztahone
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
Help me choose tripod legs from these 2 choices.
Nov 7, 2012

I have been reading reviews like crazy for a few weeks now as well as going on YouTube to see how they actually look as opposed to the flat stock photos. I am trying to keep the price of the legs down because the head I plan on buying is a little on the expensive side for me so i would like the cost of the legs to offset it a bit.

With that being said, I do not plan on compromising quality over a few bucks. I have looked at CF tripods but seeing as the cheapest "good" ones i've seen run at around $250 for legs, i think it is just out of my budget. My actual budget for the legs is more around the $140-$200 (tops) range.

So, lets dive right in.

-First up is the most obvious due to all the good reviews, the Manfrotto 190XPROB. I like the fact that the center column goes horizontal. Weight 4lbs

link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479927-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

-Second up is the Vanguard P263AT. It is the tripod that most resembles the Manfrotto in specs but i like that it has a max height of 65". It also has a higher load capacity at 15lbs compared with the Manfrotto at 11lbs. It is heavier than the manfrotto though at 4.41lbs, actually it shows 2 weights on the description. The second being 4.1lbs

link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666429-REG/Vanguard_ALTA_PRO_263AT_Alta_Pro_263_AT.html

-Lastly is the Induro 8M AT213. This one more closely resembles the specs for the Vanguard in that it supports up to 22lbs and also goes higher than the Manfrotto at 65". Weight is 4.1lbs. There isn't one bad review of this tripod at all. It is the more expensive one of the bunch and the only thing that I wish it had was the horizontal column and this would be my pick hands down.

link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655221-REG/Induro_472_213_Alloy_8M_AT213_Tripod.html

So, with all this info, let me tell you what I would use it for mainly. I do a lot of hiking with my gear. I tend to do a lot of landscape shots and Long Exposure photography, so a steady tripod is a must. All of these seem to be able to do that. Being that I will be hiking a lot with it, weight is an issue. Again, i'm aware that a Carbon Fiber one would be much lighter but it really is out of my budget.

Can anyone give first hand experience with any of these tripods or care to speak aloud just as I have done with this thread to try to figure which may suit me the best?

I thank you for your time.

edit:

I forgot to mention that the heaviest gear I would place on this would be an a77 w/ grip, 70-400 lens and flash. That is the heaviest combo i can think of.

rickztahone's gear list:rickztahone's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +19 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow